Caregivers are spouses, moms, dads, sisters, brothers, daughters, sons, and friends. Without formal training, supporting the wounded, ill, or injured veterans and first responders cannot be done effectively. (Rand Study 2014 Hidden Heroes). It is our goal to help caregivers understand their roles and teach them the necessary skills to be an effective and healthy caregiver.
Caregivers on the Homefront classes will be held at our seminars, retreats, support groups, in person or online in the greater Kansas City, Missouri area and select cities in Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, and Missouri.
Classes include but are not limited to:
- Financial Plans – Many caregivers end up having to quit their jobs to stay home and care for their loved ones. We need to educate caregivers on how to create financial stability and ways to make up for lost wages, retirement, and pension benefits.
- Legal Plans – Many times, the wounded warriors cannot speak for themselves or have a hard time navigating the “new world” that they now find themselves in.
- Creating power of attorneys and executors for estates or trusts should be implemented. Having a plan in case the primary caregiver can no longer fulfill the caregiving duties must be discussed.
- Navigating the Department of Defense, Veterans Administration, and Social Security - Managing care for those with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Substance Abuse Disorder, Traumatic Brain Injury, and Amputation, to name a few.
- Promoting Intimacy with a Disabled Spouse.
- Health and Well-Being to mitigate caregiver burnout, attention to self is a must.
Caregivers on the Homefront provides a holistic approach, teaching caregivers the tools that they need to survive at home. We address the physical, psychological, and social needs of the caregiver. Caregivers on the Homefront will provide in person and online social support to address feelings of isolation by increasing connectedness. We will provide training for those that want to facilitate in person support groups as well as giving them the financial means to do so. We will partner with organizations such as churches and hotels within the communities to provide space to hold the group meetings.
Please check back for when the next set of classes will begin. We look forward to your participation.